Sunday, November 8, 2009

Laser tag etc.

Well another week has come and gone. I'd say it was a pretty good week. Before I get into the laser tag part as per the title the things from this week that stick out the most in memory are going to the BYU Men's and Women's Choruses concert Tuesday night (which was REALLY good) and all the tests I took at the end of the week here. Friday I took mid-term exams for my Book of Mormon and Physical Sciences classes. The Book of Mormon exam consisted of multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank and short answer questions and I know that at least for the multiple choice questions I got a 95 so that plus however I did on the short-answer part will be my grade for the exam. I feel like I did pretty good on the Physical Sciences test but that's how I felt on the last exam I took for that class and I ended up with a B. So I'll find out sometime in the next few days how I actually did. Then Saturday morning I took the AFOQT (Air Force Officer Qualifying Test). It was long. The test started at 8:00am and I got out sometime after noon. I feel like I did ok but it's kinda hard to say for sure. I should get the results back sometime in the next 2 weeks. Assuming I did well enough on that test I should be getting an ROTC scholarship. The cool thing I found out about that this past week is that if I get all the paperwork done soon enough I can get the scholarship to retroactively apply to THIS semester in addition to next semester....Which would be bomb awesome. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But anyways, the laser tag thing. So at the beginning of the semester in elder's quorum the idea was proposed and voted on of having a ward activity of playing laser tag. As you can imagine the elder's quorum unanimously supported this idea. Unfortunately it seems some of the Relief Society sisters were less than enthusiastic about this idea so it kinda got shot down. No worries though, right? We can just make it an elder's quorum activity! So this activity has been in the works basically since the beginning of the semester and we finally had it last night. Now, you have to understand something. When I say laser tag you're probably thinking of some indoor thingy with some cheesy vest or whatever. This was NOTHING like that (except maybe that we were using guns that fire light at each other). It was about a bajillion times cooler! It's this company called Tactical Action Games and what they do is bring the equipment to outdoor locations and actually train you on certain combat techniques in objective-driven scenarios. It was SWEET! We went out to some park in a canyon near Mt. Timpanogos. Instead of a sensor on a vest to detect when you've been hit we wore headbands with a sensor to make it more life-like in terms of how you can get killed while peeking around a corner. We played 4 or 5 different scenarios. The first one was called "Anarchy" and we basically just all ran around trying to kill each other. In the second scenario we were split into 2 teams and the objective was to completely wipe out the opposing team. In the next scenario my team was supposed to hold down a position without getting wiped out for 10 minutes before an "airlift" arrived to "extract" us while the other team was trying to take us all out. In the following scenario my team was supposed to "Thunder Run" the opposing teams' bases of operations and capture their FOBs (front operation base, which was basically just a blinking LED wand). The last scenario was close-quarters combat where our base was right next to the other team's base and the objective was to successfully deposit ordnance (a soccer ball) in their base without getting shot. Like I said, it was a TON of fun. In between sessions the guys who ran it would give training on basic combat techniques like cover and concealment, how to properly hold the weapon, etc. Best laser tag EVER.

2 comments:

  1. So that's what you've been up to. I've been wondering. Look for an update from me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like extreme laser tag! very cool!

    ReplyDelete